Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Comfort Zone...

Yesterday I attended a birthday get together / party for a friend of mine who is from Israel and most (ok all) of her friends in attendance were from Israel as well. This being said at first almost everyone (unless they were talking to me) was talking in Hebrew until the "real talk" began. Finally some English lol. At that point I really wish I understood Hebrew.
Still, the talk was amazing and it's funny that we all hear what we need to hear and I loved the honesty of my friend who recently went through some "life changes" and was able to discuss them with all of us, openly, which showed us that we may not always get along with everyone, or that when we need certain people back in our lives they are there. We talked about Forgiveness and how unless we forgive we are the one feeling the pain and misery. Usually the other person is over it.
We also talked about what I call "random acts of kindness" you know doing for others and expecting nothing back. We all need to do this more I believe. I think sometimes, I know for myself I get very busy and forget to help others in different ways. It can be as easy as listening when someone is going through something and just really listening or it can be something we never thought we'd do but in the moment it feels just right to do. I think it helps with the give and take in our lives.
At the end of the night we were all given a road block in our lives to work on. It's funny I grabbed "Need to Control". Now I know that can be a problem for me but I plan on working on it more. Those women were so honest and open and it was nice to find that kind of comfort in the end when I felt so out of my comfort zone when I arrived. It was neat that my friend had a teacher there because she wanted to give for her birthday. Give her friends the chance to work on themselves and feel great about themselves. It was neat that all these women, there were like 20 of them were so open with each other. It reminded me of dinners and coffee on Fridays with my girlfriends and it was nice to feel that again.
My point in all this is that I knew there would be language barriers but instead, a friend invited me over for her birthday, I was able to get out of myself and my worry, and be a friend to her and celebrate her. I didn't let fear get in my way...

No comments: